Who We Are

We're a like minded clan of gamers from the Portland metro area of the state of Oregon, USA. While we're based in Portland, we do have members from all over! So, don't be afraid to join! We tend to play many different games and we have guild chapters all over! We might even be playing a game you love!

Friday, January 18, 2013

REVIEW: Func Industries 1030 sUrface Archetype MBA


Review: Func Industries 1030 sUrface Archetype MBA Mousing Surface

By: Christopher “Synther” Wilson

The number of mouse pads, or mousing surfaces, available today literally boggles the mind.  You can literally find them in every price range from your local Dollar Tree to some really fancy models at Best Buy or available online.  On surface inspection (I couldn’t resist…I’m a punny guy) you will find that they all essentially perform the same function.  With a deeper look at them, you can find that some are a far superior product over others.  The Func 1030 sUrface Archetype MBA definitely falls into the “really fancy model” category.
This is actually the second mousing surface that I’ve owned from Func, with the other one being a sUrface 1030 Original.  The two are very similar with the Archetype MBA offering a few extras.  You might be saying, “Synther, it’s a mouse pad…what extras could you be speaking of?”  Well, the first being that the 1030 sUrface Archetype MBA that I have uses a machine billeted aluminum base (hence the MBA in the name).  I’m not sure that this is available any more but the current legacy model you can order from Func.net does use a soft-feel hard plastic base.  I’ve found that the hard base is an improvement over the soft rubber base sleeve of the sUrface 1030 Original.  The hard base always provides a solid surface no matter what you set it on.  There have been times where tables at LAN events weren’t quite as even or smooth as I would have preferred and I could literally feel some of the imperfections through the soft rubber base of the 1030 Original.  The Archetype solves this problem beautifully.

The other thing that is nice about the 1030 sUrface Archetype is the size.  At 11.5” x 9.5” I’ve found that the size is just about perfect without being too overly huge but is still 20% larger than the 1030 Original.  I’m not sure what the thought process of current mouse surface companies is, but I have never once thought to myself, “Synther…you know what you need?  You need a mouse pad so freakishly huge that it covers ¾ of your entire desk.  Yep, that would make life grand.”  Something like the XFX Warpad at 16.97” x 13.98” and requires a clamp to attach it to the desk is simply absurd, in my opinion.  Even if you were doing plotting or graphics arts, you will be extremely hard pressed to convince me that a mouse pad that insanely huge is going to be some kind of benefit to you.  But to each their own.

The actual mouse surface on the Archetype is a double-sided inset.  On one side, you’ll find a nice textured surface.  On the other, you’ll find an extremely smooth surface.  If you’re looking for raw speed and glide, the smooth surface is for you.  I tend to prefer the textured surface since I find that the precision tracking on the mouse seems to be a little bit better and I don’t seem to get the feeling of running over literally every particle of dust that happens to land on my mouse pad.  The surface is easily taken out to flip over or clean via two holes in the bottom of the base.  I’ve used two different mice with the 1030 sUrface Archetype and I’ve found that both track equally well.  I’ve read some reviews on other mouse surfaces where people claim that one type of mouse will track better on a particular surface than another.  I honestly believe that this is likely a psychological effect and has no real basis in truth unless there is some defect or major settings change with the particular mouse.  Both my Logitech G500 and ThermalTake Level-10M mice track equally well at 3500dpi on the 1030 sUrface Archetype.
The standard 1030 sUrface Archetype comes with a black mousing surface.  You may be wondering how I got a custom logo on mine, since this is not something that is currently available through Func.  The simple answer is that it wasn’t easy.  At the time that I ordered this Archetype, Func’s website was down.  I had to order through one of their manufacturing partners, ACT-Labs.  At the time of this writing, ACT-Labs does not appear to be offering the custom print any longer and it is currently not offered by Func.  However, in a recent conversation with Calle from Func Industries, he let me know that Func is currently looking into ways to decrease the minimum order quantity on custom prints to make it a viable option for their customers.  So, you might want to keep an eye on Func.net in the future to see if this option is once again available!
The bottom of the 1030 sUrface Archetype holds six round soft rubber feet to keep the base from slipping around on your desk.  For the most part these feet work extremely well, though I have noticed a bit of slip on my glass top desk.  Newer versions of Func mouse surfaces have resolved this by adding larger feet.  However, I’ve found that overall the Archetype stays where you put it and doesn’t slide around a great deal.

Func Industries has been around since 1999 and they came out with such a solid product in the 1030 sUrface Archetype that it suspiciously looks like Razer’s recent Invicta aluminum base mouse surface is almost a direct copy of Func’s award winning design.  In addition to mousing surfaces, Func also offers a liquid that you can use to add even more anti-friction to your surface.  Func Liquid is non-toxic and water based, containing no wax.  Simply apply it with the cloth and let your mouse surface dry.  I can tell you from experience that Liquid will leave your mouse surface as slick as ice!  I highly recommend it and it will work on any solid mousing surface.
If you’re in the market for a new mouse surface, I highly recommend that you take a look at Func Industries.  They’ve been in the business for some time and they know how to make a good mousing surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PDX Murderous Moppets

PDX Murderous Moppets
Community of Freedom