Who We Are

We're a like minded clan of gamers from the Portland metro area of the state of Oregon, USA. While we're based in Portland, we do have members from all over! So, don't be afraid to join! We tend to play many different games and we have guild chapters all over! We might even be playing a game you love!

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Review: GUNNAR Optiks Stylus Advanced Computer Eyeware


Review: GUNNAR Optiks Stylus Advanced Computer Eyeware

By: Christopher “Synther” Wilson

In the modern day and age the amount of time a person spends each day staring at some form of digital screen can be staggering.  Our work, play, and even our down time is usually spent at least casually looking at some LCD screen.  If you work in any part of the computer industry, are just a technophile, or if you’re a gamer, you likely spend far more time looking at screens than the average person.  All this staring at our digital work stations and toys can take a toll on one’s eyes.  Gunnar Optiks has come to our rescue, though.

Way back when I first started on my collegiate path to computer science greatness, I started to develop headaches from spending large amounts of time in front of computer screens.  Back then we all used CRT monitors and a 14” screen was considered to be large.  My dad talked me into going to his optometrist and she told me that the problem was due to eye strain.  I had, and still have, perfect 20/20 vision.  What she recommended at the time was a pair of clear UV protected and anti-reflective glasses.  They were hideously ugly, but they only cost me $10 and they seemed to get the job done.  Somewhere over the years, I lost those glasses and I searched high and low for another pair but never found any.  Then I discovered Gunnar Optiks and my search was over.

With little effort, you can find many reviews on Gunnar glasses and a lot of posturing both for or against.  I can only tell you my results and I could list you the results of many other people in both the computer and gaming industries that would agree with my assessment.  I’ve heard a lot of reviews stating that Gunnar glasses are simply not needed unless you already have bad vision.  I find it funny that many of these are posted by people that are not doctors of any kind and they generally show a poor understanding of how AR glasses work in general.

While Gunnars do come in a clear lense style, these are generally recommended for people that work in the graphic arts industry and need to have exact color shown.  Most Gunnars you’ll find come with an amber colored tint to the glasses which is part of Gunnar Optiks iAmp technology and it is these that are usually recommended.  The style that I’ve chosen is called the Stylus and is considered a part of the “Advanced Computer Eyeware” line.  However, you should not be confused as these glasses have the same technology as those used in the “Advanced Gaming Eyeware” line.  Both lines can also be purchased with RX Prescription for those that normally need to wear glasses.
The largest difference between the two lines of eyeware is the ear pieces.  The ear pieces on the “Advanced Gaming Eyeware” line are generally thinner and allow for greater comfort when wearing headphones.  However, I’ve found that the Stylus ear pieces are small and thin enough that they do not pose any discomfort when wearing headphones while gaming.

The Gunnar Stylus comes with the amber iAmp AR coating as well as 0.2 diopted lenses.  The amber tint causes an increase in contrast on the screen and I can tell you that the diopter has helped on many occasion for reading smaller sized print in both games and webpages.  I’m not a doctor, so I won’t be telling you that this is good or bad.  I can tell you that due to these glasses, my eyes feel less tired after spending large amounts of time in front of the computer and I get fewer headaches as a result.  That’s all I can say about that without claiming things I have no real education about or attempting to regurgitate Gunnar’s own PR spin on the topic.

The glasses also come with a handy cloth bag to help keep them from getting scratched up and it doubles as an excellent cleaning cloth.  However, if you take your eyeware seriously, I would recommend spending the additional $10 on the hard case.  Something I desperately need to do myself!

About the only thing that I’ve noticed with the Gunnar Stylus glasses is that they seem to feel heavier than some of the other styles I’ve tried.  I’ve been thinking quite heavily (HA!  I made a pun) about getting a pair of the Gunnar PPK glasses for just this reason.

Like most products of the “ergonomics” nature, a pair of Gunnar glasses may not be for everyone.  But if you suffer from any of the conditions that I listed as my reason, they are worth checking out and I would highly recommend them.  Besides, they greatly enhance my nerdy roguish good looks.
 
 
For information on Gunnar's Advanced Outdoor Eyeware, please see my next review on GUNNAR Optiks Weezer Advanced Outdoor Eyeware.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PDX Murderous Moppets

PDX Murderous Moppets
Community of Freedom